Has your most recent workout left your muscles sore? Do you frequently have back pain? What about headaches? If you responded "yes" to any of these questions, you should think about investing in a peanut massage ball.
In this blog, we'll go over the specifics of what a peanut ball is, the advantages it offers, how to use it, and what to look for when purchasing one.
What Is a Peanut Massage Ball Roller?
A peanut massage roller is a lightweight mobility tool that combines two massage balls into a single roller with a spacer in the middle. It is commonly used as a recovery tool in rehabilitation due to its ability to provide pain relief.
Peanut massage balls can be used to target the large muscle groups in the back as well as the full body. Due to its peculiar shape, it also helps to relax the muscles around the body part you are massaging.
Benefits of Using a Peanut Massage Ball
Credit: Envato Elements/ LightFieldStudios
The unique shape of a peanut ball roller offers a number of advantages, such as:
1) It Helps With Posture Improvement and Muscle Soreness
It can be challenging to reach the muscle in your back. These muscles have a tendency to become extremely tight, which can affect your posture. In addition to being perfect for massaging sore muscles in these regions, peanut massage balls also help to improve posture and mobility, all of which are crucial for a healthy back.
2) It Helps Ease Trigger Points
Due to its unique shape, the peanut ball can more easily target a particular location or muscle group in the shoulders, hips, and head that is difficult to treat with a foam roller or a regular massage ball. When you massage these trigger points with a peanut massage ball, you not only provide relief to your entire body but also increase blood flow, range of motion, and overall flexibility.
3) It Relieves Headaches and Strain in the Neck
The unique shape of a peanut massage ball allows it to sit snugly on either side of your neck, enabling you to evenly apply pressure to both sides of your neck and head. This helps to relieve headaches and strain in the neck.
How to Use a Peanut Massage Ball
If you've never used a peanut massage ball before, here are five ways to go about it:
1) For Hip Pain and Mobility
- Sit on the ground with the peanut ball under your hips.
- Turn your body toward your hips as you lean toward the ball.
- Roll the ball slowly in both directions while applying pressure.
- Then, repeat on the other side.
2) For Lower Back Pain
- Position the peanut massage ball under your lower back.
- Breathe deeply while rolling from side to side. Make sure to concentrate on your entire lower back.
- To massage the pain away, move slowly until you reach the stiff areas.
3) For Mid Back Pain
- Position the peanut massage ball midway down your back.
- Then, to balance yourself, roll up and down by pressing your heels into the ground and using your forearms against the sides of the ground.
- Avoid making direct contact with your spine and move carefully.
4) For Upper Back Pain and Shoulder Relief
- While standing, place your back against a wall.
- Place the peanut massage ball between the wall and the sore area.
- Push back against the wall. Make short, circular motions.
- To increase the pressure, do the same motion while lying on your back.
5) For Headaches and Neck Pain
- Try lying on your back with a peanut between the floor and the back of your neck or the base of your skull.
- To relieve the tension in the base of the skull muscles, try gently nodding or raising your head a few inches.
What to Look for When Purchasing a Peanut Massage Ball
Credit: 5 Billion Fitness
To receive the best value for your money when purchasing a peanut massage ball, be sure to consider the following factors:
1) Surface Texture
Peanut massage balls come in a number of different surface textures. Since you are targeting sensitive areas when using these self-massage tools, anything with elevated bumps or spikes should be avoided. Instead, search for balls with smooth textures that will glide over various surfaces.
The texture of peanut massage balls can be extremely firm or soft. In general, peanut massage balls with a soft exterior are preferable for treating tender body regions like the neck, while those with stronger densities are preferable for locating trigger points in strong muscle groups like the back.
Naturally, you'll want your massage ball to withstand continuous usage, so it's critical to pick peanut massage balls that are made from sturdy materials that are intended to withstand repeated use without malfunctioning.
When looking at durability, make sure the ball can be quickly and easily cleaned. Massage balls have a tendency to gather dust and pet hair. To avoid this, look for hygienic balls like Acupoint that can be easily washed with soap and water.
A good grip is among the most crucial factors to consider while selecting peanut massage balls. Without a grip, your massage ball will slide, which will make it difficult to have a good massage. A good massage ball will be designed to grip the floor.
Everyone can benefit from a peanut massage ball. If you're looking for an ultra-affordable ball set that can be used for trigger point massage, myofascial release, and plantar fascia pain, and can conveniently fit in your gym bag, check out Acupoint.