As you become older, there are multiple aches and pains that can affect how well your body functions. But what if there was an immediate solution to your issues?
Introducing massage balls. These useful tools are helpful not only for youngsters but also for elderly people. To learn how to safely use a massage ball, scroll down below.
What Are Massage Balls?
Credit: For Envato Elements/ duskbabe
Massage balls are tools that are used to relieve stress, untangle knots, improve posture and increase mobility. These balls can especially help seniors who struggle to do everyday tasks due to tense and painful muscles. Massage balls can quickly ease this stiffness and improve blood flow thereby improving the quality of life.
Health Benefits of Using Massage Balls as You Age
Credit: For Envato Elements/ Marinesea
If you're not sure if massage balls are ideal for you, consider the following benefits:
- Relieves severe muscle spasms and corrects muscle imbalance
- Encourages healthy blood flow
- Makes joints flexible and aids in muscle healing
- Restores appropriate movement patterns
- Reduces the possibility of injury during any activity
Easy Massage Ball Exercises for Seniors
Credit: For Envato Elements/ Marinesea
Learning how to use a massage ball properly to ease stress and discomfort in those hard-to-reach areas of your body is a joy. The exercises on this list are simple and suitable for most people, including the elderly.
1) For Back Pain
As you get older, the muscles that surround your back may tighten up and affect how you stand. By performing this easy massage ball exercise, you can "wake up" your posture muscles so that they can support and relax any tight muscles along your spine.
To use a massage ball to relieve back pain, follow these instructions:
- Begin seated on a chair with your feet flat on the floor.
- Place a massage exercise ball between the back of the chair and your lower ribs.
- Palms facing up, extend your arms out to your sides.
- Move your back in a side-to-side motion.
- Do this for 2-3 minutes, or until your back begins to feel warm, released, and at ease.
2) For Balance Issues
The main cause of balance issues in older adults is muscle deterioration. Massaging the soles of your feet with a massage ball is a terrific way to engage the sensors in your feet and enhance balance and agility.
To use a massage ball for balance issues, follow these instructions:
- Begin seated on a chair.
- Place a massage ball beneath each foot.
- Roll your feet in both directions.
- Do this for 2 minutes.
3) To Loosen Tight Hamstrings
As we get older, the lower body starts to tighten and lose range of motion. When this happens, it gets more challenging to complete normal tasks like tying your laces. To relieve your tight hamstrings, it's crucial to use a massage ball.
To use a massage ball to loosen up tight hamstrings, follow these instructions:
- Begin seated on a chair with your feet planted firmly on the ground.
- Place an exercise ball under your thigh and move it around until you feel a sore area.
- Place the ball forward to increase the pressure on your thigh.
- Do this for 30 seconds before shifting to the other leg.
4) For Neck Pain
Neck pain in seniors may be brought on by injuries, weakened muscles, and decreased mobility. In this case, a massage ball might lessen discomfort while speeding up healing.
To use a massage ball to relieve neck pain, follow these instructions:
- Place the massage ball in your hand as you raise it to your neck.
- Roll the ball from bottom to top around the back of your neck.
- Follow this motion for 30 seconds, then take a break for another 30 before switching hands.
5) For Wrist Pain
Wrist pain in seniors can be brought on by arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and repetitive stress injuries. You can perform some easy wrist exercises at home using a massage ball to reduce stiffness and stress.
To use a massage ball to relieve wrist pain, follow these instructions:
- Place a massage ball on a table with your hand resting on it.
- Roll the ball under your hand in a circular manner while varying the amount of pressure you use.
- Do this for 30 seconds before switching hands.
By using massage balls, seniors can benefit from increased mobility, strength, posture, and endurance. Before performing any of the above-mentioned activities, make sure to consult a doctor.